Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Five weeks home!

Wow, where has the time gone?? It seems that only yesterday I was wondering if this day would ever get here and now I am a week away from returning to work. Things continue to go well with more good days than bad. The boys have a very good schedule and get off kilter easy if I stray from it, but they are learning to adjust to these minor bumps never-the-less.
Sleep - much improved with the help of benadryl. Yes, after a few weeks of little sleep I resorted to this trick. They are on the final wean and now sleep 10-11 hours through the night with no problem (which means Mama is much happier in the morning). We have moved through several stages as I tried to decipher what worked best for bedtime. We now enjoy some reading time and then off to bed they go. Jacob usually falls asleep in my arms in Joseph's room and then I carry him to bed. Joseph waits for this move for one final hug and kiss and then rolls over and puts himself to sleep. At nap time today as I was walking from his room I heard "Mama....I love you." Not that they don't say that a thousand times a day, but oh how my heart leaped as this came from his mouth.

Health - we have all had this horrible head/chest congestion for two weeks now. Finally today there has been less snot to wipe and no breathing treatments required for Joseph. He has now had three bouts with an asthma type illness and will likely receive the dreaded diagnosis at his pediatrician visit next week. They begin immunizations at this next visit and we will schedule a circumcision, so not looking forward to this trip at all. They each had a first dental visit today (pics below) and did as expected. Joseph got the perfect teeth report. Jacob, not so much. Because he continues to chew on pretty much anything he has a few chips in his teeth. He also has some staining from birth and his teeth are very crowded. Predictions are that he will need braces. Oh well, join the club as two of his four siblings have been there and done that.

Play - they still seem so overwhelmed at the choices and more days than not Joseph will resort to his comfortable toy of a ball. At the same time they have learned to dump all the toys from the toy box and stumble over things. Luckily some orphanage habits have stuck with them and Joseph is a huge helper when it comes time to pick things up. Both boys love to be held over play any time and I really have to force them to get down and burn energy and calories. We get lots of snuggle time in throughout the day.

Eating - also much improved. Jacob eats pretty much anything put in front of him. Since finishing a round of antibiotics for giardia Joseph's appetite has also improved. He is a much pickier eating, but considering the variety thrown at him I am not surprised. They both enjoy eating out with Mexican continuing to be a favorite. I'll be interested to see how much they have each grown at their check-up next week. Jacob is down to one bottle a day at bedtime. The doctor wants this one gone also, but I am giving him through the week and then we will see how he takes to this idea. He is also slowly transitioning to whole milk!!

Other- Joseph is signed up for baseball in the Spring. He has a natural athletic ability and I am afraid this Smart Start league will bore him quickly, but the basics must be learned before big boy ball. Both kids have been to watch Kensley at gymnastics a couple of times now and they love when we clear the rug and do forward and backward rolls.

More changes have come quicker than I wanted as Joseph decided after a time or two with his sister that he was too big for his booster seat, so he has moved to a regular chair meaning Jacob got his booster and got to join us at the table (pics below). They each maintain a sense of independence that I do not wish to steal from them, but there are times I wish they would just be kids. I have been leaving them with big sister Amy one day for a little longer each time so they are as prepared as possible for my return to work. This past week they got through lunch and a nap, which meant I got to shop alone and clean the house. I worry so about destroying the confidence I have built in them that I will return. Amy's words last week meant so much as she told me how well adjusted she felt they were.

Finally (as nap time is quickly coming to an end) here are a few pictures from the last few weeks...in no particular order as things keep popping up all over the page!. As we prepare for another snow storm coming our way I am sure there will be more soon! 
<><><><><><>
<>
<><><><><><>
We are big boys now!

Joseph trying to comfort his little brother during his dental cleaning.
 

Showing off that smile after his first dental appointment!

Too cute not to include!
We thankfully have had a few days pretty enough to get outside and play!

Handsome man!
First haircuts in America!
 Happy February everyone! Looking forward to some warmer weather with a trip to the beach already planned for this summer. Praying for all adoptive families waiting for your little ones to join you.


 

 





No comments:

Post a Comment