Monday, February 14, 2011

Lessons learned in the first six weeks

  • It is okay to have dirty dishes in the sink
  • Toys do not have to be in the room in which they "belong"
  • If clothes are not on and teeth are not brushed for early AM mama appointments (and maybe pajamas are still on) it is ok...for the boys that is
  • A room that has just been cleaned will likely not be that way in five minutes
  • Dust will still be there tomorrow
  • Grocery shopping alone (or anything for that matter) feels like a vacation
  • I CAN survive on less sleep
  • Dirty clothes can wait
  • Little boys love to eat and love when mama cooks
  • There is nothing more precious than late night snuggles
  • Two little boys light up my world and are keeping me young
Yes, it was that bad just a few weeks ago. When my oldest son left home three years ago I celebrated that I could clean and return two days later to find it as I had left it. I rejoiced that I only cooked if I wanted to (and rarely did). I had silence except for the television. I slept through the night and often had a blessed nap in the middle of the day. The cats had lots of lap time and I only did laundry on Saturday.
If you can't tell, the last few weeks have been a major adjustment for me. The boys have watched as I tried to maintain a life that had been and somehow integrate it with what now is. I failed, and miserably. I can finally say that some of my OCD tendencies have faded and I now don't mind the toys scattered throughout the house or the dishes in the sink. The floor gets swept at the end of the day and so what if we walk on goldfish in the meantime.
As I return to work this week there will be many more adjustments to be made. How can I be an effective mom with only a few hours in the early morning hours and a few hours in the evening. I am thankful that Joseph and Jacob will be staying with their sister Amy while I work. At least I know the love and attention will remain. Weekends will become a bit more hectic with even less time for cleaning and shopping. Instead we will play ball, visit the zoo, and a sundry of other activities.
I am saddened that this time has so quickly come to an end. I was a stay-at-home mom with my three biological children and feel a bit guilty for not being able to do the same now. As I begin this next chapter I ask for prayers. It is difficult being all things for these two little ones and I pray that at the end of the day they only feel the love I intended when I began this adoption journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment