Wednesday, August 18, 2010

You are not alone

February 2010 - As I began to contemplate my financial situation and spending long hours worrying how I could ever afford the expenses of adoption, a friend shared a quote with me which says: "If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it;" and so I began to pray in earnest believing this to be so.

Fundraisers do not come naturally to me. I have always been very self-sufficient and asking for help is a hit to my pride. However, recently I began to understand that the message through this experience resounds that I am not alone.

I began advertising yard sales in February and watched in awe as my garage was taken over by donations. The night before the first sale we priced and pushed the last items back into the garage. I am certain that not another item would have fit and wish I had taken a picture of the wall to wall, floor to ceiling donations. On the morning of March 20, bundled in a jacket, coat, and gloves items were moved to the yard. What I watched as the day progressed was the most amazing experience of my life. People were everywhere! At one point the street was lined by cars on both sides and around the corner as far as the eye could see. Two events especially made me smile that day. A friend of my daughters had driven from far away to shop. She had only a vague idea of where she was going but spoke of how the clouds parted with sun beams literally pointing to the house where the sale was. Wow! Then there was the moment when a little elderly woman asked if she could buy the deer out of my garden. I thought a minute and then responded "why not. I'd sell you the shirt off my back right not." We talked for a minute and she then revealed her identity as Mrs. Claus. I looked up and there stood Santa waiting very inpatiently for her to finalize her purchase : ) The sale was hugely successful and in one day over $2000 was in the bank.

The second sale brought warmer weather and more excitement. At one point when I was in the house I heard a neighbor saying "get your Mom now." When I walked outside there stood the police. Now I have had my share of experiences with the police thanks to my son (another story for another blog) and know how to respond to the police, but when he asked me to control parking and have everyone park on one side of the street I had to laugh (which I don't think he found funny). We obliged with the threat of a fine if another person complained about traffic and put a sign up telling drivers to park on one side of the street per Smyrna police department. Which I must say they did. Everyone parked on only one side of the street (though not necessarily the same side) and another $1000 went in the bank.

By the third adoption benefit yard sale held in July with temperatures near 100 degrees I again watched in awe as the crowds came and many who had donated items shopped for treasures. Santa and Mrs. Claus visited again and another $1200 went in the bank.

There have been other fundraisers thanks to the generosity of friends, family, and complete strangers. There are many more scheduled and these will soon be advertised. I paid the first half adoption fees recently! How, I'm still not sure. The money has come and continues to be raised. As I enter the home stretch to bringing Joseph and Jacob home I rejoice in those who have come together in support and prove that I am not alone in this journey.


Before they call I will answer; while they are still speaking I will hear.
Isaiah 65:24

No comments:

Post a Comment