Saturday, November 13, 2010

"They are your children"

The last week has been the most amazing experience of my life. Kathy and I left for Addis Abbaba, Ethiopia on Saturday, November 6. We arrived to the Grace Guest House on the evening of November 7.
Early in the afternoon of November 8 I met Joseph and Jacob. They were everything I imagined. Joseph has a calm, quiet, loving personality. He is a protector of his brother. Jacob is very strong-willed and very cautious in showing his true self. As we left Miskaye orphanage Joseph told us that his feet hurt. His shoes were about two sizes too small, so at our next stop, an orphanage to pick up a little boy for a Phillip and Gina Payne (another CCI family from Franklin), Joseph was given another pair of shoes and some lunch. Both boys slept on the ride back to the Guest House. Joseph woke happy and accepting of the circumstances of his new life. Jacob remained quiet throughout the first day. I saw quickly that Joseph is quite the athlete as he kicked anad threw ball all afternoon. He was thrilled with a pair of shoes that fit his feet and acted as though I had given him a brick of gold when he also got new underwear. Jacob accepted his meals but remained quiet throughout the day. Both boys slept soundly until the call to worship early the next morning.
November 9 Jacob awoke a new child. The first time he was up during the night he was on his knees. The second time he was standing. He quickly showed off his ability to crawl and is almost walking. Both boys played well, napped, and ate great. Until the night that is. I'm still not sure if Jacob sensed my apprehension over the pending court appearance or if his stomach was upset from the change in formula, but he cried most of the night.
November 10 both boys were again happy and playful. I headed to court late morning leaving Kathy in charge. Apparently Joseph had quite a come apart when I left asking where his mama had gone. With the help of an interpreter it was explained what was happening. He begged to not return to the orphanage, agreed to get on an airplane "just one time," and he, Jacob, and Kathy went to the room to cry together and look for distraction.
I sat in the court room knowing that their mother was present. As I scanned the sea of faces I quickly found her. Jacob looks just like her! After her appearance she agreed to meet with me. Though few words were spoken (and none with an interpreter) I hope that she understood my love and gratitude for these two little ones. I was called in to see the judge soon after. There were a few brief questions followed by a period of silence and then those long awaited words..."they are your children." I practically ran from the room and could not wait to return to tell Kathy and the boys.
The afternoon was hectic as we packed for our return trip. Joseph watched anxiously as we filled our luggage. When we went outside to await our ride he climbed in my lap and went to sleep. Jacob sat quietly with Kathy. Joseph slept the entire ride back to Miskaye for which I am grateful. There were many tears as we left these boys in the care of those who obviously care deeply for them. I left them with photo albums and toys and a promise to return as soon as possible. I only hope that someone is telling them daily that I am coming back. Our afternoon was spent shopping before returning to the airport. There are many stories to share another time.
Kathy and I arrived back in Nashville on November 11 exhausted emotionally and physically. I pray now for a quick turnaround as paperwork arrives to the Embassy. My prayer is for a homecoming prior to Christmas. I spend each day watching videos and looking at pictures praying for the moment when Joseph and Jacob are again in my arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment