Friday, November 5, 2010

Ethiopia bound

As I sit here on the eve of my first journey to Ethiopia I am filled with every emotion known to man. I am overjoyed, excited, scared...perhaps a bit terrified...at what lies ahead. In just two short days I will come face to face with two boys born to another mother but ordained by God to be my sons. How do you possibly prepare for that? I have always been a bit of a control freak and have never felt more of a sense of loss of control through this entire experience. Let go and let God...a tough one for this type A personality.
I liken this experience to the hours of labor before giving birth to Kathy, Amy, and David. When these three were born I had no idea what was in front of me. I didn't even know their sex, much less the personalities that were coming my way. This time I can confidently say "it's a boy, well two!" and look forward to learning about them as they do me.
I pray for safety for Kathy and myself. See, we both have health issues and she had a really bad experience on her last flight (blew an ACL). I am recovering from hives resulting from an antibiotic. She is fighting a sinus infection. Then there is the whole latex allergy thing that scares me to death. I saw pictures of an Ethiopian ICU today and I sure do not want to experience any part of a hospital. So, I pray. I pray for the pilots who guide the planes. I pray for these two boys that they may somehow accept me as their Mama. Most of all I pray for their mother who will appear in court on the same day I do. She is perhaps the most courageous woman I will never know as she surrenders her children to a life she cannot offer. I can't even begin to imagine the emotions she must be experiencing even at this moment.I pray that I pass court the first date and that the time from court to embassy is short. Joseph and Jacob, as I prepare for this journey I am filled with love and I am filled with awe and wonder and I thank God for bringing me to the wildest adventure of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment